J picked out this recipe and I have to say, he did good. After watching an old episode of 30 Minute Meals, J took the reigns and wanted to make Thanksgiving Tonight (aka Thanksgiving in pasta form...yes, we make a lot of pasta) with me as his assistant. Despite this being a difficult recipe, we only had a few incidents and one extra trip to Walgreens to get the flour that was forgotten. For the most part were pretty successful.
Note: Not to knock Rachael, but she did include a salad that didn't wow me or J, so it isn't being included.
Serves: 2 with leftovers
Cook time according to Rachael Ray: 45 minutes (HAH)
Cook time to Rachel: 1 hour 20 minutes
How complicated was this for Rachel to make? VERY complicated, but SO tasty!
- 1 pound spaghetti (or any noodle of choice
- 1 cup dry stuffing
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 celery ribs from the heart, finely chopped
- 1 small onion or 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 egg
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for liberal drizzling
- 1/2 pound crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced (No, I didn't eat these)
- 1 medium Golden Delicious apple, peeled, cored & finely chopped (make sure to peel before chopping!)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- A couple handfuls flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Bring water to a boil in large pot for pasta.
When the water boils wait until meatballs go into oven. When meatballs have been in oven 4 to 5 minutes, season water with salt, add spaghetti and cook to al dente. Drain pasta and keep warm.
Place turkey in mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper. Add apple, lemon juice, celery, onion, poultry seasoning, egg and stuffing and mix until just combined.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form meat mixture into 16 (2-inch) balls, drizzle with some olive oil and roast until cooked through, firm and golden, about 12 minutes.
While meatballs roast, heat a couple of tablespoons olive oil in large skillet, add mushrooms and cook over medium-high heat until tender and season with salt and pepper
Make a well in the center of the pan, add the butter, and when melted, whisk in the flour
Cook for 1 minute
Whisk in about 2 cups stock and Worcestershire sauce
Reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes to thicken the sauce, then stir in cream.
Toss pasta in a large serving bowl with the meatballs, sauce and cheese. Garnish with parsley and serve.